“Something so effortless and refined”
Initially when looking for something fashionable to wear, often I would overlook the turtleneck . Over the years peoples perception of the “turtleneck” was altered due to years of brands only targeting the more mature crowd such as; grandfathers, grandmother etc, thus the turtleneck has evolved into a “must have” for the fashion innovator. As traditional Americana circumvented back into the mainstream fashion industry, this created an outlet for the turtleneck to be reintroduced.
As I observed the various ways turtlenecks were being exhibited by persons of style, the one person that stood out the most in my eyes was Taji Nahl. Taji is one of he most premier fashion innovators in the Philadelphia area, and has received numerous accolades for his fashionable contributions to menswear. Three years has transpired and I still partake in this menswear item. Nevertheless, there are many facets that this item can be displayed due to it simplicity, therefore it also allows you to create layered looks and accessorize with bold items.
The Turtleneck can be one of the most chic, masculine, and elegant pieces in a Kings wardrobe. The great part about this item is that it can be thrown on in a instant because it is a simple fashion look and is suitable for most offices, events or formal occasions. The Turtleneck sweaters is an versatile pieces that can be dressed up or down. You can adopt a layered look during the colder seasons using the turtleneck underneath of a collared shirt.
The key to wearing this garment is finding one that has the proper fit and fabric. Some turtleneck sweaters especially, heavier wools can be a bit uncomfortable around the neckline. Cashmere or merino wool would be your best option when shopping for the right turtleneck. Whether, with cords and an overcoat or worn by itself the turtleneck can give a bit of nonchalant elegance to a Kings wardrobe. - K.R.T.
Photography by Luxury Light Photography
In some parts of the world, it is referred to as a “polo-neck” or “roll neck” sweater. These terms originated in Europe during the late 19th century. It was called a polo- neck because it resembled the high necklines of polo players. The word “Turtleneck” was a term widely used in Canada and the United States.
“This item can be the alternative to the tradition shirt and tie combination making the turtleneck a way to reject formality.”
What a turtleneck goes best with:
- It is great garment to partner with a suit giving a more refined yet relaxed assemble.
- Works well paired with chinos, jeans or trousers
- A nice shawl -collared cardigan sweater.
- paired with chinos, jeans or trousers
- varsity jackets or a leather.
- underneath a blazers, trench coats or wool overcoats easily
A Kings Wardrobe: Eric Honesty of Cultured Couture Vintage
- Turtleneck- Salvatore Ferragamo
- White riding Breeches- Cultured Couture Vintage
- Blazer- Ralph Lauren
- Riding Boots- Cultured Couture Vintage
- Wool Cape- Cultured Couture Vintage
- Red hunting vest- Cultured Couture Vintage
A Kings Wardrobe:
- Lamb skin Ambassador Hat from House Of Ra’oof
- Turtle Neck by Maison Martin Margiela
- Blue overcoat by YSL
- Vintage plaid trousers from Cultured Couture Vintage
- John Varvatos Boots